The World-Wide Webfoot
aka Ducky, aka Kate Sherwood, aka Kaitlin Duck Sherwood
Professional StuffIn August 2012, I decided to quit working for other people. I worked on varous cartographic map mashups, but found that I missed having the purpose that a steady go-in-to-the-office job gives.
Thus in April 2014, I changed my mind and took a job at Awesense, a company which makes hardware and software for electric utilities to help them find losses in their power distribution grid.
I have realized that the thing that I care most about is working on something that people care about.
Things I am proud of
- A mapping framework I developed that allows one to overlay very high numbers of polygons and points on top of Google Maps. I have a demo which lets users overlay various demographic layers on top of the 2008 election results. Note: my ISP has gotten significantly slower in the past year, so the maps are not as impressive as they used to be.
- The two books I wrote: Overcome Email Overload with Eudora 5 and Overcome Email Overload with Microsoft Outlook 2000 and Outlook 2002.
- A poster I designed for my husband which uses glyphs from about 100 different writing systems as graphical elements.
- I am proud of the research I did for my MSc in Computer Science at the University of British Columbia I researched programmer productivity for my thesis, Path Exploration during Code Navigation, supervised by Gail Murphy. I then implemented a prototype of a differential code coverage tool and ran a user study to see if it was useful. It turns out to be really helpful.
- Writings, both humor and advice.
- The (now-defunct) Webfoot's Used Car Lots, which won a Best of the Net award.
- My work as Host/Writer/Crew of the High Tech Heroes and Parents, Families, and Friends community access TV shows,
- designed stuff (Furniture, household implements, drawings, Halloween costumes),
- My (successful) proposal and marriage to the beautiful and talented Jim DeLaHunt
I have worked in a lot of places doing a lot of things in the high-tech industry.
The best and fastest way to reach me is to send email to me.
Copyright, 1994-2009 Kaitlin Duck Sherwood